Monday, February 11, 2008

These Aren't the Days to Remember..this too shall pass

(spell check isn't working- again)
well i got my MFM appointment - i have a consult tomorrow at 9:30am. I was called at noon to "inform me". Then My lvl 2 u/s will be the 19th at 1:30pm

The above is the drama free version. Below is the crazy, emotional, hormonal pregnant lady who would just like to see her baby and all Mini's organs version:

The poor lady that schedules appointments got more than she would have liked this afternoon but was really a gem in dealing with me - ok here we go:

She called to explain that I would need genetic counseling - I informed her that I underwent all the testing we would like until further looks at the baby stated other wise. All my NT scans, AFP results came back with no concern therefore I was under the impression that I was high risk due to a few m/c's and my blood/immune disorder. Well apparently my OB's told them that they are worried about my ASD repair and my fused vertebrates. Which is News to me because Thursday - she assured me I was high risk because of the blood/immune lo.ve.nox combo (the others are no elephant in a room-I am aware of them but all my life have been told it was just a fluke/mutation and all my pre-fertility treatment testings/chromosomal testings revealed nothing to be concerned about- according to my OB and RE). SO when she told me that I had to have more testing, I lost it. I cried and tried to explain to her that I was not requiring or requesting any more genetic tests. I was happy with all my results thus far until we see something to be concerned with. (see being the most important word in the sentence) I am 20 weeks, it won't change a thing. She told me she was going to call my OB and RE to confirm that I had done tests and see if they thought i needed more ..... so i had an emotional break down for 2 hours because obviously, they did not have my file nor read my file before making the appointment. Why would they require me to do stuff that I have already done and do not care to do more of? I am just starting to enjoy this thought of pregnancy and need no more opportunity for concern or worry or anxiety- I do plenty of that w/o dr's orders. I just wanted to have a dr LOOK at my baby and THEN IF they see a problem, discuss it. Not vice versa

Well, she called my OB and my RE and apparently the testing that they did is "different" OF COURSE IT IS!!! and If I do not go tomorrow for the genetic couseling, when I have my scan on the 19th, This appointment will not be with a dr. She explained to me that if I refuse the appointment tomorrow, then at my scan on the 19th which is in a diiferent location, will not be done by a dr and my results will not be discussed with me. They will mail my results back to the OB's office and let the OB's office deliver the results to me. If something was/is wrong, I would have to get in line for an appointment and hopes I get seen.

So after a few phone calls were made(and tears were cried), we have taken the appointments reluctantly and pissed off about the whole scenario. I am just tired of being poked and prodded over and over again. I am tired of worrying, and having anxiety attacks, I just want to be able to enjoy this at some point.

Good thing my co-workers are not here today because i have just cried and cried. I think it's tacky and ballsy that a dr's office can call on a 20 hour notice and demand that you come in on that day (my husband is supposed to work on the day of the scan and can not get off- so he will have to do the unthinkable and call in sick and hope he doesn't get in trouble). I tried explaining to the appointment scheduler that my husband could not come that day and she told me to come by myself or bring a friend. ON THE DAY WE MAY FIND OUT THE SEX AND determine if all things Mini are ok. I THINK NOT YOU &*()^&@! I gave 7 other days that were better for us and she told me, I don't know what to tell you.?!?. WHAT really ??!?! .... i think that may be what I am upset about also. That and discussing things that w/o looking we will not know for sure. Basically, I know it may seem peddly to some - but i could use some good thoughts, prayers, or what ever you do to take the anxiety away. Hopefully I will come back with a great experience tomorrow - but I am not counting on it. I just would like a look at my baby!


( i won't even go over the fact that the office that she "picked" for our scan is over 2 hours from my house, but the office I am going to tomorrow is 5 miles from my house)

21 comments:

Unknown said...

I am sorry.... I would have been upset too, so I don't blame you won bit. Plus all these hormones we have don't help either! I am sure everything will go well and once you see your beautiful baby everything will be okay.

hope548 said...

I am really sorry about all that. It just sounds ridiculous and I hope that they find absolutely nothing to worry about. It's too bad that doctor's forget they're working for you!

Shelby said...

Yikes- I would have been in tears too! Hopefully your appointment tomorrow won't be a big deal, and the scan will show only lots of good things. AFter the 2 hour drive- that's just insane!!

Anonymous said...

That really sucks. I would have been upset without the hormones. I'm so sorry. Lots of prayers that tomorrow goes smoothly!

My_Herstory said...

Wow, that's sounded frustrating. You definatley have the right to be upset! I hope tomorrow goes perfect and all is well. Can't wait to hear all your good news!
Hugs!

Topcat said...

How. Freaking. Annoying. I would be crying and crying too Farah - good luck with it all! Can't wait to hear how you went, sending you my good thoughts and love.

xoxoxox

Kate said...

That is terrible. I am so sorry that you have to go through all of this.

RBandRC said...

What a crappy experience--I don't blame you for being upset about it. Sending lots of good thoughts and positive vibes your way! :)

HUGS!

Meghan said...

Sounds like they need to work on their people skills a little. Sorry you had such a rough day, it sucks when people don't listen to you.

Thinking lots of good thoughts for all your appointments

Jackie said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all this crap they are making you go through to get your scan. Hopefully all will go well with both appointments and the people you meet with will have a different attitude than those with whom you spoke over the phone. It's so unfortunate that our health care system is so splintered and fractured that all the different branches of care we need for essentially the same health care concern (our pregnancies) simply can't or won't communicate effectively. Good luck! I'll be thinking of you!

C said...

I'm sorry that your dr's are not being the nicest to you right now. What the hell is their problem anyway? I am praying for you and sending good thoughts your way that your appt will go well. ((hugs)) to you.

sara said...

WTF??? Please pardon my French. I know that certain testing may be routine due to having certain medical things in your history...but it sounds like they put you through some emotional stuff that could have been dealt with a little more carefully and empathetically. I don't mean to sound down on their office staff...but one thing that should be so important is making you feel comfortable as well. THere are times at work when I may want to say one thing to a patient, but I try to take a step back, and be a little understanding...especially when there is sensitive topics involved. I'm sorry that you had a rough time scheduling stuff for tomorrow, esp since your husband was working then. But I wish you the best of luck, I'm sure you will hear nothing but good news, I hope you find out the sex...you'll have to let me know soon! Also I wish the office better luck at making new patients feel at home, and at ease when they all are understandibly stressed! I'm sorry hun that it was a frustrating day...I'll be thinking of you and the little bean tomorrow while I'm at work and send some prayers you way!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Sara, there are just certain times when you should be overly nice regardless of how screwed up the situation is (i.e. did they or didn't they get the recrods, did the RE's office call and demand first available because they didn't schedule it when they said they did). It's. Not. Your. Fault! They need to remember that they work for you.

I really hope the appointment goes better than anticipated and that the time passes quickly until your scan. I can only imagine how much your jonesing for a view of Mini!

You know your in my thoughts and my prayers, all three of you!!! <3

E. Phantzi said...

How distressing, Farah - they certainly could have handled that a lot better.

Kathy said...

(((HUGS))) I am sorry that was so frustrating. I hope things go better today. I can understand you just wanting to be able to see your baby and enough tests already! Hang in there. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Kathy V said...

I am sorry that they scared you so much and got you all worked up. Hopefully everything goes well. Maybe when you see your doctor your could voice your frustration about what happened to you. Prayers and hugs go out to you.

LIW (Lady In Waiting) said...

Oh, Sweetie, that is ridiculous!!! All of it. I can't believe that they are so callous and dismissive of your wishes. If she looked at your chart, she would see how much you have been through already. You are not an "oops, pregnant" case. The research has been done and then some.

I SO get your point about wanting a chance to just enjoy this pregnancy and not panic. And a situation like this brings up all the fear that you have been trying to manage. It's just cruel.

I would have cried for 2 hours as well. Hang in there and good luck tomorrow.

XOXOXO

Nurse Lochia said...

Sounds to me like the the people in that office need to learn new people skills and understanding. I just don't see the reason for all the pressure to have tests run.

Hilary (Maya Papaya) said...

What an ordeal. Wishing you tons of luck!

Anonymous said...

HAPPY 20 WEEKS!!! HAPPY 1/2 WAY THERE!!!

Barb said...

That sucks. It's not piddly at all. I hate health care in our country. AAAAAAARGH.

**Disclaimer: I am well aware that I should be grateful that we aren't in a 3rd world health care system, but you all know what I mean about the problems with ours in THIS system. ugh.