Wednesday, October 15, 2008

This and That

*has anyone else had trouble with reader and leaving comments on b.logger? It seems that for 2 days now, My comments were being eaten and reader would not display new blog entries ...

We had MT's 4th month appoint. today. He is weighing in at 15lbs 14oz. (70th percentile) and measuring almost 26 inches tall. (70th percentile). He has chaffing underneath his neck crease (fatroll) that we are applying diaper rash cream on in hopes that will clear it up and that it is not fungal. Our Dr also suggested that we start him on baby cereal after she evaluated him. I have been very unsure about how i feel about this for a while now. But after a good discussion with her, I feel that it will be a good learning experience for MT. So in the next week, we will be adding, most likely, cereal to his diet. I am excited to see how he likes it and how much we are able to keep in his mouth. She told me to try and give him cereal once a day for a week. She first suggested at night to help him sleep better- but he is a good sleeper at night so I think I may try mid morning. If all goes well after the first week, we will add in veggies for dinner the next week. After veggies go well, then we will add fruit next. I think this is going to get messy, fun and adventurous. E is insistent that I invest in a spill mat to put underneath the high chair since we can't put the high chair in the kitchen. Tomorrow will be rounding up all the necessities: spoons, bowls, spill mat, cereal, a good food processor. AND a video camera. I want to be able to have someone video tape it for entertainment purposes. She did tell me that I could expect MT's liquid intake to possibly decrease a bit as we begin to experiment. We will see. While we are on this topic, Anyone have a good food processor? I would like to be able to grind/mash/puree my own steamed veggies and fruits for him. (i am not sure how practical this is but it doesn't seem too challenging in my mom's group) I am, curious to see how this new additive of food will change our loose schedule that we do have going on. (MT still takes naps relatively at the same time every day give or take 45 - 60 mins)

Did I mentioned that MT rolled over? I believe it was on the 8th. He rolled from tummy to back. I was soo very proud of him. E was home to see it. Of course, we made him do it a few more times to make sure it wasn’t a fluke. He did it at my parent’s house this weekend. He definitely has that locked down. He also has started to notice food, my food, his bottle and seems to understand what it's function is. He gets extremely excited when he sees us coming with his bottle. Recognition has been a fun thing for me. I just adore watching him discover things. He definitely knows that I am the lady that provides for him. His eyes will follow or find me and the sound of my voice if some one else has him. He has also found out that he can squeal very loudly.

I am not sure I blogged about this - If I have just disregard my scattered brain. I left the house the other weekend going to grab lunch with some friends. My hair felt like I had overgeled (so a word) it. I do not use gel. I could not figure out what I had done ..... Uhm it was conditioner. I put conditioner in my hair in the shower and did not rinse it out .... See I have it "all together".....

This past week my brain has been so unbelievably foggy. I realized this a few days ago (after the blogger meeting actually). It has been MONTHS ( 4 to be exact) since I was able to sit at a table and have a conversation that was not about poopy diapers and stained clothes or feeding/nap schedules. I felt alittle lost. It was so weird. I realize now that I sat there acting a little weird and silent. I don't know what it is. Exhaustion maybe ... probably. We had an extremely jam packed weekend and E worked.

Speaking of exhaustion, E works 12 hour days. He works a pretty weird schedule 3 on 2 off, 2 on 3 off. What this means is that he leaves the house before the sun is up and returns home after the sun has set. So for about 13-14 ish hours on the days he works, It's all me. I am by no means complaining. We knew this was how it was going to be. The execution of this has been a little (ok, alot) more draining than the notion was. On the days where he works, he has been walking in the door and helping with the last feeding (or bath then the last feeding depending on when he arrives) and bedtime. We have really tried to stick to a bedtime ritual and have maintained this for about 2 months now. I have found that I need this more than MT does. 12-14 hours being the sole provider and still doing the middle of the night pumping was really starting to take a toll on me. I was breaking the when baby naps, you nap rule. I was trying to get a few things accomplished when MT was down. Sometimes, things just have to be done. The last few nights, I have given up that 2am pump. I think, this contributed to me feeling and acting like a zombie.

*so I apologize to the girls this week. If I seem a touch out of it .. I was and am. but I enjoyed it with all my heart. It was so nice to be able to do something like that. I wish we lived closer to do it more often. I really soaked up the atmosphere. I think I realized that I do need more adult interaction.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay for MT rolling over!!! How awesome.

I am interested in making some of AJ's food too, so if you get some answers on the food processor let me know!

My_Herstory said...

Sounds like you're hitting some really great milestones, good for you MT!

Geohde said...

I have so done the conditioner thing, too.

In fact, I did it and completely omitted step 'shampoo' first.

J

Mrs. Shoes said...

I owuld heartily recommend a hand/immersion blender over a food processor. It is perfect for puree right in the pan and much easier to clean. I love mine. Of course, I have never used it for baby food but I think it would be perfect for it.

RBandRC said...

YAY for MT!!! That's great! And I'm with you on being foggy--its hard when you spend zero time with other adults. That is the one and only positive for me about going back to work. ((HUGS))

Anonymous said...

I have no real experience with this - but our day care lady makes her own baby food. Which is to say that she purees steamed veggies and things like meatloaf using a hand crank food processor thing. She likes it because she can feed the babies right out of it and doesn't have to dirty a bunch of equipment to get the job done. What she uses is similar to this: http://www.csnbaby.com/KidCo-F800-KCO1003.html. Good luck, let us know how it goes!

Kate said...

Rolling over - wow! The changes come so fast, don't they?

Amy B said...

Congrats on the rolling over that is so exciting! I tried making my own baby food too, I hope you last longer than I did, i lasted a week. I have a Black & Decker food processor that I love and I am sure it was under $40.

HereWeGoAJen said...

You weren't weird and silent! Plus, I'll have lunch with you anytime. Name the date.

My parents used a food processor to feed me part of whatever they were having for dinner. I have an immersion blender I am going to try and the grinder/pureer things for my stand mixer.

Amanda said...

Hooray for the little man rolling over!!!

I can't wait to see how the feeding thing goes. You'll have to keep us updated on the making your own food. I checked out the link for the mill that Alison posted...I think I might try this too.

Don't worry about being a little scattered. I've been doing things like forgetting to rinse forever! (really, for years) Haha!

Dr. Grumbles said...

Yay for rolling over!

And I have had my share of conditioner accumulation and conditioner-in-the-ear moments! Who has time for all that rinsing?

Photogrl said...

When Miss O. was beginning solids, my aunt bought me a food mill. It is run by hand, very convenient when you are on the go.

Especially as she got older and was eating anything. I'd just take a little of whatever we were eating, add a little applesauce and grind it up. I loved it.

Yay for getting some time without baby, too!

Jen said...

Yeah MT on rolling over, little N just rocks from side to side. You don't really need to do a 2am pump now if you don't have to. N goes to sleep at 6:30 and then I pump at 9:30 before I go to bed and that's it. I want to pump so I have extra for the sitters. As for feeding, N eats 3x a day, cereal mixed with ebm for breakfast, applesauce or sweet potatoes for lunch, and a squished up banana with ebm for dinner. I'm still feeding him the same amount of times, but he may not be eating as much. As for the equipment, I'm going to buy a mini cuisinart. I have a big one and really like it. I tried the magic bullet, and it worked great for a couple of weeks. I also wished you live closer, I don't have many friends with babies anymore. :)

Barb said...

I love your funny stories.

seussgirl said...

Yey for starting solids!
I can't believe how big MT is! Do you realize he's almost exactly the same size my boys are? I think they've been growing at the same rate, just with my boys a few months behind. :)

I also have a Black and Decker food processor - a fairly large one, because I use it to shred all my chicken for casseroles, and to make my deviled eggs and such. I used it for sweet potatoes and carrots for the boys, and it worked great. I have, however, gone back to jarred food because it didn't seem that much cheaper to make my own, and it's a lot easier to open those little jars than to steam and puree!

Don't forget you can freeze the homemade stuff in ice cube trays, and then seal them in ziplocs for, I think, up to 2 months. :)

tryingin2007 said...

feeling exhausted AND needing more adult interaction -- oh, I hear ya!!!

:)

glenna marshall said...

MY little guy turned 4 months on the 14th and he is very close to yours in weight/height. He was 16.1 pounds, 24.75 inches. We introduced cereal as soon as he hit 4 months and our pedi was all for it. He encouraged us to work up to 3x daily and I have to admit, it HAS helped him sleep better at night, but we desperately needed some improvement there to begin with.

I'm going to try to hold off on veggies for anothe few weeks, but I'm definitely going to cook and mash my own baby food. The writer of the book "The Super Baby Food Book" has created these little containers called "baby cubes" which are perfect for storing your homemade baby food. Just a thought if you're headed in that direction. :)

My little guy has also started noticing everything we eat! He knows his bottle is coming when he sees it and gets SO impatient between the time he sees it and the time it makes it into his mouth. It's funny!

Glad your little one is doing so well! He seems to be growing like crazy!!

glenna marshall said...

I meant to say...I feed Isaiah in his bouncy seat half the time and his hi-chair when his feedings coincide with our meals. It's not been very messy so far. I make his cereal much thicker than suggested, though, because it was just running out of his mouth and down his chin (adding to his own neck chafing--yep, he has it too! It's hard to keep that area clean!). So, I made it thicker and he swallows it much easier.