Friday, March 7, 2008

New Job for me? ...

Last night after coming home from dinner (around 10), It was drizzling (as it likes to do in FL). I heard a lot of what sounded like wing flapping. I looked up HIGH in a tree there was bird flapping its wings. I figured it was trying to dry its wings off after the hard rain. It looked like your standard dove/pigeon of some sort from its wings. Not 4 seconds later I see something falling from the branch where the bird was flapping. In the first split second I thought it was a feather but then when it made it to eye level I saw it was bigger and then THUD… OMG it was a baby bird and it fell on the sidewalk. I nearly went into hysterics right there. (it was about 15 feet infront of me) E was trying to get me to come inside but I was not obliging. I went running over to see if it was ok … No it wasn’t ok. I immediately started to cry and told him that we had to bury it. Then came another baby bird falling out of the sky but I caught that one. I was yelling at the bird that was pushing them out of the nest. Like the bird understood me. I refused to go in until E would bring me a shoebox with a newspaper/paper towel nest in it. I put the bird in the box with the lid half covering it and him and slid him under the bushes by our front door. E refused to let it in the house and we have 2 cats that I am sure would have LOVED to keep it warm. I made E come out and check on him a few times before getting to sleep. I cried myself to sleep. I was so upset. Stupid hormones I assume. I kept apologizing to E for crying because I told him I know it was ridiculous but I was so upset and couldn’t stop.

This morning I got up early, took a shower went and checked on the little guy, he was alive and breathing and he had moved spots. I packed in him a new dry shoebox and drove to work. Once I got to work I asked a co-worker who used to work at a zoo around here what to do with him. She directed me to a vet that also does wildlife rescue. So I took him there. Made a donation and drove back to work. I am glad the bird will have a chance. Poor lil thing

Disclaimer - If all fairness, I would have tried to save the bird regardless of the extra hormones I have, because I just love most animals and am just that kind of person. I have 2 cats that ended up at our house via rescuing. 1 from my work parking lot when her eyes were still glued ½ shut and 1 I drove 120 miles to get from my husbands’ friend that found a litter outside his house and was going to take to a shelter. So this is not my first rodeo. You would think that my husband would get used to this. Hey I think I found a new job for me.. The first Female Wildlife Biologist/Host for Ani.ma.l P.lan.et show

20 comments:

Mazzy said...

Oh, that was so great of you! When I was a little girl, I brought more baby birds and stray dogs home than my mom could stand. Some of us just have that in our hearts and it speaks so much to your character.
You are going to be an awesome mommy!

Anonymous said...

You're so sweet to care for the birdie! I can just picture E pulling you by one arm into the house and you trying to get back out. :) I should introduce you to my friend L - she's an animal fanatic as well, but she likes to save dogs. She finds the ugliest dogs you have ever seen but some how they always end up cute and sweet. The latest one she got from a puppy mill - they think she's had several HUNDRED puppies.

But yes, you should definitely pursue a career as an animal rescuer. Maybe we can see you on Animal Planet someday. ;)

Jill Tice said...

You are a good, good lady, F! Proves you will be a great Momma!

Janna said...

I think it's so great that you would do that!!! KUDDOS TO YOU!!!!

tryingin2007 said...

bravo! you did a great thing! lately I have been into feeding a few of the feral cats in my hood. it's just been so cold here. the other night I left them some freezer burnt shrimp that was headed towards the garbage. the next morning there was a tiny shrimp tail outside my front door -- a little "thank you."

Anonymous said...

I hate leaving comments...stupid things eat my words...grrrr...one of these days i'll remember to copy before I try to submit...

Anyway...second time around.

I'm sorry the first baby bird didn't make it and traumatized you. Hooray for saving the other baby!!! I used to find one or two birds a year. Some made it and some didn't, but there was a vet near my house that would take in strays.

The world's animals need more people like you around!

Dr. Grumbles said...

I too am a sucker for animals in distress.

You'll be a super-nurtering mommy!

JJ said...

Awwww, how cute! Arent you the sweetest-Ill join you in the animal rescue venture!

christina(apronstrings) said...

you are such a heart-led person. if the world had more of oyu it'd be a better place.

sara said...

Somehow I'm not suprised that you would have a soft spot for animals. You're a sweetie!

C said...

Good for that birdie you were around! I can't help but want to help every hurt or abandoned animal. Will just laughs at me. I become hysterical if I ever run over one! Even did it in an ambulance once while coming in to the hospital with a patient and I cried off and on the rest of the night. OOOOH well, I'm jabbering, aren't I?

At any rate, good job and when you host Animal Planet, I'll say "I knew her when.." lol

My_Herstory said...

Hey good for you for saving the little bird!! Are ya gunna check on it (give them a call?)? *grin* You seem like the type of person that would hehehe. Let us know how the little feather baby is doing hehe.
We saved our last dog from a kennel, they shot dogs there to put them down. When we got her she used to hide under tables whenever there was a crack of thunder or someone was letting fireworks off. She also tried hiding under the couch and actually started to flip it... she was a german shephard cross (she was a big girl). She was such a nice dog. We're glad we could give her lots of love for the last few years of her life. ;)
Good for you Farah!

Searching said...

I do that kind of thing too. I'm glad you caught the second one! You must have been FAST! Good eye! I volunteered with a wildlife/raptor unit for 3 semesters. Some times those baby birds DO make it. I'll say a little prayer for it!

I would totally watch your show. :) You rock.

lub said...

Good for you! Better a hatched bird than an egg though which is what I thought you were going to say (write). My hormones are making me more cranky than sympathetic.

Yetty said...

what i'd like to know is why was the big bird pushing the other ones out of the tree. Good thing you were there. I think i love animals but from a distance. I'm not sure what i would have done in your situation. what you did was so sweet.

Anonymous said...

as usual, you are awesome! Wish there were more people like you.

A New Beginning said...

Good for you!

Barb said...

Yay for you!

Sometimes different species of birds will push other birds babies/eggs out of their nest to lay THEIR eggs in it. Or sometimes the bird just can't take care of their chicks anymore.

Courtney said...

I can totally relate to your feelings about saving the little birds. Good for you for trying to salvage life!!!

Unknown said...

You are so sweet to do this! I am a sucker for all animals and we would have a zoo at our house if we could.