Saturday, June 7, 2008

Show and Tell #3

Christmas 05 we were in the middle of moving to a new apartment. My husband was at work but I was at home unpacking. I sat a box (of boxed foods) on the stove to unload it into the pantry. I put it up there - then had to run to the bathroom ... It wasn't seconds later I smelt burnt cardboard and heard what sounded like bebe's being shot all over the house. I quickly (as in with my pants not even pulled up) ran to the kitchen to see what the noise was - (and was blaming my cats): What i got to see were FLAMES coming out of the box of foods and lil popcorn kernels being flung everywhere. Somehow I managed to turn on the burner to the highest setting while placing the box on the stove ( yes pure luck). I drug the box onto the floor, rand from the bathroom to the kitchen to pour pitchers of water on the box to put out the flames. (we have just moved, I wasnt sure where the fire extinguisher was). I was panicking thinking that I was going to burn down the condo and life was going to be VERY BAD.... The flames went out .. and I had to grab hte camera. I mean whatelse to you do when you just about burn down your new abode? Here is evidence:
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

26 comments:

The Town Criers said...

Okay, so I know the mess probably sucked to clean up in the moment, but the idea of accidentally popping the popcorn is pretty priceless.

Chas said...

Oh wow...that could have been really bad.

My Reality said...

I have melted containers on the stove before. One had sugar in it, and when I picked it up, the bottom was gone and there was sugar everywhere. It turned to caramel pretty quickly. There are actually pits in my ceramic cooktop from that incident!

I am glad you got the fire out. the popped corn is priceless!

Joanna said...

Pants around the ankles.....priceless. Thank god everything turned out all right.

chicklet said...

Lol, omg that musta been so shitty!

My name is Andy. said...

Very cool that you thought to snap some pictures afterwards!!

I'm glad that you were able to put it out quickly.

sara said...

Oh my gosh! I'm glad you didn't burn down the place but that is hilarious! You just told me another story to keep me laughing again, you are doing a very good job girl :-) Some of my escapades in the kitchen have been pretty ugly - especially the unplanned ones. But they usually make me laugh after the fact. Hope you're having a great weekend!

Lauren said...

That's insane! I've got this great mental image of a woman with her pants around her ankles wildly flinging water everywhere while popcorn flies by her head. Lovely! lol

Hilary (The Trying Game) said...

Good lord! What a story!

Dianne/Flutter said...

Sorry, I laughed out loud. The visual of the popcorn - too much! So glad that you stopped the fire and that it all turned out fine.

Cali said...

that cracked me up! I mean, I did politely wait to chuckle until I read more to make sure that all was safe & sound...but the randomness of exploding popcorn is like a scene out of a classic movie!

Lee said...

Here via Mel's Show and Tell.

Wow... so glad no one was hurt and the damage was minor. The photo evidence is pretty dramatic and thinking about the popcorn is very funny!

Katie said...

Okay, I wouldn't have said this THEN, but a few years later. . .

That is one funny story! And totally sounds like something that I would do!

I love you, Farah!

DC said...

OMG. I am LOL at the mess, but I'm sure it was a very scary experience at the time.

JuliaS said...

How horribly scarily hysterically funny!

I know at the time it probably was nothing remotely humorous about it - but now I bet you laugh!

So glad that everything was okay (for the most part).

When dh came home and asked what happend - you could have just said you felt like a snack!

wanttobeamom said...

Oh my! What a mess! I'm really glad you didn't burn down the apartment.

gracechild said...

i believe the appropriate phrase is "oops"

dmarie said...

Funny story. I love the Combos in the pic :o

Lori said...

That looks scary.

What a great first impression for your new neighbors!

Clever Trevor said...

WOW the popcorn is priceless! I'm impressed - it's a unique way to cook it.
Could have turned out real nasty though.

Marcy "meg" said...

Oh my goodness... great that you took pictures though!

How long did it take to clean all of that up?

Jendeis said...

Noooooo!!! It looks like you lost tater tots!!! The agony!!!!

Anita said...

Stopping by from Mel's Show and Tell.

I've melted three dustpans on our stove. The "Pants around the ankles" made me spit tea onto my monitor! I hope you can have a good laugh about it now.

Kathy V said...

I am sure it wasn't funny at the time but I find this story absolutely hilarious.

loribeth said...

My dh once forgot to put the lid on the popcorn maker... until we saw popcorn kernels flying out of the kitchen. We both ran into the kitchen & tried to put the lid on, killing ourselves laughing while the popcorn kept popping. I think your story is funnier, though (but I'm glad you didn't burn the house down!).

JamieD said...

That is a perfect example of a story that turned out funny but could have been terrible. I am glad I am not the only person who has them!

What are the odds?!?!