Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Game

Oh, I have loved hearing about your dinner recipes. I was getting so bored, or stuck doing the same thing over and over again. It was a refreshing and much needed post.

I had another growth scan with Dr Wonderful today. But today's was extra special because MT went with me to meet his younger brother. Jen and Elizabeth met us there so they could help me with MT while having the growth scan done. It was so much fun! All is well with Armadillo. He is measuring about 6 oz heavier than MT was at this same gestational age. So not bad, really. We showed MT his lil brother on the U/S TV. It was so cute. Jen brought her camera to take pictures for us! YEAH Jen .. Such smart thinking. After the appointment, we went out for lunch and had some girl time. It was a fantastic day.. I do not want to say too much because Jen is a much better blogger about this type of stuff AND she has the pics to prove the outing occurred.

**A week ago, The "No" game become so annoying to me. If you are not aware of this game, I will describe it briefly, mom says "no", baby ignores, laughs, Mom says "no" about 30 more times in a variety of tones and melodies, Baby keeps doing said "no" task, throws in some more laughter and ignoring. ... Mom somewhat laughs and smiles a few times to keep her head from popping off and rolling on the floor ...... I decided that I could not listen to myself say "no" one more time. Really, because No one was listening. And it was NOT EFFECTIVE..... Somehow, I just came up with thte phrase "Back Away". It is literal. I showed him what I meant by Back Away a few times and now by the second or third back away .. He is backing away. The first few times we did this lil exercise, He looked at me to see if I was serious or not ...... And Now, He knows that I am serious when I say this to him.

Do I think that eventually, This will stop working, Unfortunately, Yes. He is only going to be 15 months on the 10th. I know I have a long ways to go. But I just feel like enjoying this small victory right now and I will enjoy that feeling ... and figure out what is the next step to take when/if this stops being effective.

**I did not read this in a book, I am sure there is a book containing this info, but I just was trying to think outside the box on the fly ... Plus, I can say Back Away in a tone that makes him recognize that I am serious, No seems to be hard to say in a tone that Always sounds serious.

11 comments:

BigP's Heather said...

Hopefully by the time that quits working maybe NO will be working again?!

Eden Riley said...

Oh that cracks me up ... because I FEEL YOUR PAIN.

I'm going to try the back-away game too. God knows I need all the help I can get. Our babies are soul brothers.

XO

HereWeGoAJen said...

And I was going to let you blog it because it was MT's big brother day. :)

Back away is genuis. No is an abstract concept, much harder for babies to learn. But back away gives him something to do.

Adriane said...

Back Away! I am going to have to try that one. "No" at our house is not working!

So glad Armadillo is doing well!

Beth Kyle said...

I totally agree with Jen that the Back Away is genius. I will have to try it when the Zerker understands what back away means....LOL

christina(apronstrings) said...

That's good news re:the scan.
Yes, the no game sucks. I say "danger!" or, "that's mommy and daddy's" or "not for Cate." And "not allowed!" Anything but no, huh?

A New Beginning said...

I will have to try that. Apparently, NO is the funniest word in the book. (Especially when daddy says it.)

I am going to have to try this.

Thanks!

Courtney said...

Hooray for another great appointment and checkup on Armadillo!

The no game has me quaking in my boots. We are not quite there yet.

Barb said...

GREAT idea Farah!!! It's like training an animal! You trained an incompatible behavior and gave him a JOB rather than giving him something abstract like no! AWESOME! I'm so totally gonna use that. :)

Barb said...

And apparently Jen and I could finish each other's sentences if we wished.

Geohde said...

Oh, we have our own version of the 'no' game here, too.

Although, I do find it hard not to smile when they give me that cheeky grin. I think that might undermine my authority. :)

g